Despite all the challenges that come with being a woman in a world which doesn’t always support or prioritise us, every single day I’m glad and grateful that I was born a woman. I truly love being a woman and I love the chance to celebrate womanhood.
So here are five ideas for how you might choose to celebrate yourself and the women in your life on this – our day of celebration:
- Text/call a friend and tell her what you admire about them. I know they’d love to hear it.
- Amplify another woman’s voice, work, or message. Share a quote, share their content (a blog post, an article, an episode of her podcast or tv show), share information about their business, amplify her voice in a meeting.
- Prioritise a female when making purchasing decisions. When faced with a choice about where you might direct your money today, consciously choose to purchase from women and in support of women. Go to the movie or the play that’s written or directed by a woman or that features a female protagonist, buy a book written by a female author, eat at a cafe or restaurant owned by a woman, buy an article of clothing produced by a female owned company, if you’re choosing between two great online programs, buy the program that was created by a woman, donate to a charity that supports and empowers women, and if you’re hiring people today, when deciding between two equally good candidates for a job, choose the woman. (Economically supporting a woman is one of the most powerful things you can do to create truly significant changes in a capitalist society.)
- Support a female friend who really needs your support. This option might not involve economic support. It might be about giving her the gift of time by caring for her child or children, it might mean taking her a meal if she’s a mumma with a new bub, it might mean taking her to an appointment, or helping a woman cross the road, or getting something off a high shelf for a woman who can’t reach it. Look for ways to be kind to other women today.
- And finally, celebrate and be in the company of other women. In the patriarchy, women are often pitched against one another. Today is a day to flip that on its head and celebrate how amazing and diverse, courageous, resilient and powerful women are. Today let’s fill the world with our voices, our brilliance, and our joy at the great gift that is womanhood.